What are LSI Keywords
According to the Search Engine Journal, Latent Semantic Indexing or LSI is defined as a “mathematical method used to determine the relationship between terms and concepts in content.” Semantics is “the study of meaning.” So then LSI Keywords are related to the main keyword in a certain way.
These keywords might not mean as much to some as they should but they mean a lot to the Google search engine because LSI keywords make their search engine results pages (serps’) much more accurate.
Googles algorithm clearly let us know that overloading our page content with the same keyword and/or too many keywords which take away from the conversational flow of the article is not accepted and will be ranked as low or poor quality.
Let’s say that you’re writing an article about eagles, how can the search engines tell if your content is about the football team, the bird or the rock group?
So your main keyword is more clearly defined by its related keywords. By using LSI keywords to make their search engines more efficient for us to use, now we don’t have to waste a lot of our time filtering out all of the football and bird search results so that we can see the results for our favorite rock group.
Matt Cutts, formerly of Google, said in one of his 2011 videos that after the main keyword is used twice there’s no further need to use it and actually if it’s used more than 3 times your ranking can decrease. So don’t over use your keywords because it’ll work against you, use LSI keywords instead.
Just Let It Flow
Write your complete thoughts and let the words flow without thinking about keywords. You’ll be editing more than once no doubt before you publish so just let your thoughts flow and write. Later on you can add to and subtract what you want to as well as fine tune everything prior to pressing that publish button.
So what would be some keywords in relation to LSI keywords? Let’s have a look at some search results for the keyword “eagles”. There are a variety on display including Eagles, NFL Eagles, The Eagles (the band) and there are also LSI keywords like stadium, schedule, news, shop, roster, etc.
An LSI keyword does not have to contain the targeted keyword.
Now if you were to remove the word eagles Google would still be able to tell what your page of content was about by using the LSI keywords that you chose for the search whether it be the football team, the bird or the band.
There are many LSI keywords to use to support the main one in your title. All of the LSI keywords would come up naturally within your article content.
It’s nice to write freely and just flow with your thoughts without having to remind yourself about stuffing keywords here and there. As you do this you’ll start generating your own LSI keywords naturally and you know that Google loves relevant, natural content.
By doing this you really can help yourself out in the serps’ because they can clearly see exactly what’s on your page and give the searcher what they’re looking for.
This also helps out Google and the searcher, Google by satisfying the one using their search engine and also the searcher finds a nice selection of results to choose from.
So you see that just by writing naturally and relevant to your title you are creating LSI keywords.
Remember that the LSI keyword does not have to contain the targeted keyword, so for the keyword “NFL Philadelphia Eagles” a few LSI keywords could be stadium, schedule, roster, news, tickets, etc.
You can find some free LSI keyword generating tools online as you’ll see below.
Give Yourself A Boost
There are a number of ways in which using LSI keywords will give your ratings a boost with Google and the other search engines. Here are just a few:
- There’s no more “stuffing keywords”- You try to keep a balance between your main keywords and your LSI keywords so that there’s no more feeling the need to reuse the same keyword again and again which will now get you penalized by Google.
- Of course if you were searching for information on one thing and landed on a page that wasn’t what you were looking for you would “bounce” back and click on another of the entry results. Your bounce rate should certainly decrease because the searchers will be selecting a result display based on a more targeted keyword selection. This benefits the searcher, Google and the business.
- The hard facts state that the more keywords that your page can rank for then the more visitors will find their way to your site. A nice thing about LSI keywords is that they can really help your website rankings by bringing quality targeted visitors to see what you have to offer.
- You can reduce your Google Adwords pay-per-click campaign costs by using LSI keywords. Google will eventually boost your score when they see that you are serious and continually adding quality content to your site. This will result in lower cost advertising as your ranking will also increase.
- Your visitors will spend more time on your site that’s filled with quality content, that flows in a nice conversational way and holds the readers attention until the articles end. If you were to fill up your pages with low quality content and heavy keyword usage your visitors will leave quickly, even within seconds.
Tools For The Task
Here’s a List of 5 tools to help you with your keyword planning that you might need and appreciate.
- The LSI Graph
You’ll get a lot of results to feed your content strategies with this fine tool and you can download the free plugin on WordPress.
2. Google Keyword Planner
This is also a free tool for you to use and this is also the first place to start your basic LSI keyword search if you keep in mind that the keyword planner is what you would usually create ads with. So it’s design is to recommend more keywords than you’ll need for this so that they can benefit from your paid ads.
You’re not using this tool to create ads but to create a higher ranking page, so compare the results with your other tools.
3. Google Search
Another Free tool, and Google gets about 65% of the search inquiries, so they are by far the leading search engine with Bing and Yahoo at a little over 30%. Simply type in your main keyword into the search bar and Google will show you the most popular search terms used when that keyword is entered.
This is a paid tool but very much worth the cost if you want to beat the competition. This tool will give you insight into your competitors keywords and also their back-links. That’s a lot, SEMrush is a great tool and that’s why I recommend it.
5. The Keyword Shitter
Don’t be offended but check this tool out. You can get fantastic long-tail keyword ideas as well as great LSI keywords and you can download them.
These can all be found with a simple Google search by adding .com
So if you’re hiring anyone to write your SEO articles ask them about LSI keywords and if they downplay them or give them little importance but instead would rather use the same keyword over and over, watch out because you might not be getting the quality service that you or your viewers deserve.
Wealthy Affiliate Review: $1600 Per Month From One Website With This Awesome Training!